MY TOP 5 DETOX SECRETS for SUMMER (and why I learned to say THANK YOU. I’M SORRY. I LOVE YOU)
The conversation went like this:
Me: We will be in Florida in how many – 69 days? The pool will be opening even before that!
Kenia: Get out the bathing suits for this weekend mom. Dad said that when we go to Rome for the festival we can go to Saturnia Thermal Springs between weekends!
Me: Maybe I should buy a one piece.
Havana: Why mamma?
Me: I don’t know. I am getting older and I haven’t been able to really workout in ages.
Kenia: Are you crazy?!! You look great!!! Everyone says how much younger you look!!!!
Me: Yeah, but…I don’t know…
Kenia: I do! You could get one of those sexy one piece suits where there is one piece of NOTHING!
Havana: Daddy would like that!!!!!SEEEEEXXXXY MAMMA mommy!
The summer is coming. Or has it already arrived? If you are like most other females on the planet the annual inauguration of the bathing suit is one of the scariest days of the year… even if you waxed, pre-tanned and exfoliated. Even if you have been working out all winter long.
Three-six months of overseas travelling a year, four-five days a week during the remaining months in a RV which sometimes turns into three-four weeks straight. When we are at home we are in 200sq. feet. Different beds, irregular hours, small spaces, almost zero privacy (most of the time). Little to say, life on the road has made working out challenging. It is one of the downfalls of this free lifestyle. It takes lots of energy to keep up the pace and common issues involve eating properly, being active, getting enough rest and increasing energy! Just like most other people I know my life has a way of getting in the way. Much of my health is due to my total acceptance. I accept when I cannot exercise and give thanks when I can. I accept not having time and space. I give thanks for 5 or 10 minutes of ME time. A positive attitude goes a long way!
I usually write about kids and family and all our daily joys and dilemmas of being so free. What you may not know is that I am an ex- exercise addict. It all started when I was 15 and working out with Jane Fonda (loved those leg warmers) or to the rhythm of Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall album on the cherry red carpet of my living room floor in our (tiny) apartment on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn. I remember running around the track in Albany during the summer between my Sophmore and Junior years, getting up early to be the first at the gym while attending law school, the last one in the gym while working as a receptionist at a hair salon, spending hours learning the trade from my personal trainer, Stewie from ‘94-‘97 . Twelve of my eighteen years in Italy was spent in my own gym passing on my passion and vegetarian diet with a mix of spirituality to lots and lots of clients turned confidantes and close friends. My philosophy (along with my lifestyle) has changed since then. Local, organic, macrobiotic, vegetarian, vegan, raw. Smoothies, green smoothies, green juices, mono diets, detox, water fasts. Done them all. Evolved and improved every time. Still evolving. My pace and workouts have slowed down. Health over heaping muscles. Stripping toxins from my body over six packed abs. Aging with grace over grazing over meals all day long. No chemicals. No Botox. Lots of imperfections. No regrets (so far!) Reading, research, and trial and error have taught me so much. Whereas I used to be incredibly healthy looking, now I can honestly say that I am truly healthy inside and out.
So, today I want to share with you 5 of my secrets to a more youthful appearance and confident, positive state of mind… how I DETOX and how my body and mind manage to survive all those days on the move:
- GO RAW: Replace as many meals as you can with fresh, raw fruit and vegetables. Make colorful salads, blend up green smoothies, juice your produce, chomp like a bunny. Don’t worry about where you will get your protein or fat or carbs. No calorie counting either. Everything you need is in seasonal fruit and vegetables. Add raw nuts and seeds and eat (true) organic when possible. If you don’t believe me read this: http://www.fullyraw.com/be-fullyraw/what-does-it-mean-to-be-fullyraw. And to get you started read this: http://kriscarr.com/blog/choosing-raw-food-recipes When I eat RAW I sleep better, have more energy and crave sweets less. The more RAW you eat the more RAW you want to eat because it makes you feel so amazingly fantastic.
- FAST and REST: Dedicate one day a week to a water or juice fast. I usually choose Monday or Tuesday because I work long, tiring hours (often in noisy, unhealthy environments) all weekend long (we sell books at festivals which sometimes last as much as 4-5 days in a row). My body and mind are wiped out when we get home. A one or two day fast gets me ready to pick up and go once again. Stay in bed, read, take a stroll, feel the sun on your face. REST (and don’t feel guilty about it either) ! It is the best gift you can give to yourself. Your body and mind will thank you. If you don’t have a day to yourself, skip a meal (if you get into the habit of skipping dinner you will enjoy your dreams and wake up feeling like a raving princess!)
- MOVE YOUR BODY, STRETCH IT AND GET IT SOME AIR: If you can’t get to the gym or you don’t feel like it, make sure to take a long walk. If the weather is dreary, a 10 minute mini workout is always possible. All you need is a mat. When I am travelling for work, all I need are my sneakers and a road. If I don’t have time I make sure to do yoga, pilates or at least stretch, 20 minutes in the morning, 20 minutes before going to bed… a genuine back, neck and stress reliever.
- MEDITATE: Meditation doesn’t mean sitting in some position and repeating OM over and over again. You don’t have to wear flowers in your hair, eat tofu, or walk barefoot either!!!! Meditation means being present, being aware of the present moment. Accepting that your thoughts will float from thought to thought, but then bringing them back to where you are and what you are doing in that very moment. You can do it anytime and anywhere. While washing dishes, folding laundry, driving to work, playing with your children (which means that you are actually playing with your children!) mowing the lawn. When you get good enough you will even be able to remain present in the middle of a noisy crowd. It will leave you feeling joyful, balanced and relaxed.
- GIVE THANKS: Instead of concentrating on the physical traits that we wish we had, concentrate on all the things that we do have. Regularly give thanks for your eyes and ears, your arms and legs, your health, your family and friends. I like thanking my eyes when I am putting on my mascara in the morning. Start the day with a smile in the mirror. Every day I find a moment to sit silently (especially when I have mistreated myself a bit) and breathe…and repeat to myself THANK YOU (I am thanking my body and my mind for showing up every day). I AM SORRY (I am apologizing for treating myself badly by eating unhealthy things, not providing myself sufficient physical activity, not exposing myself to fresh air, criticizing myself too much.) I LOVE YOU (I am reminding myself that I am wonderful just the way I am).
Thanks to these healthy habits and a few more minutes a day dedicated to my core, I have decided to trust my daughters and keep the bikini this year. It takes 21 days to break old habits and start better ones. Try one of these secrets or all 5 and in 3 weeks you will feel stronger, better, happier with being you!